Saturday, October 27, 2012

Write-in Candidates


Last Tuesday, we made voting a family affair and took the little guys to see what it's all about.  Meaningful conversations, family togetherness, and stickers were the focus of the morning.  



It was mostly about the stickers.  




When Sarah asked what this voting thing was all about, I explained that we had to choose someone to be the leader of our country.  "Like the Special Helper?" she queried.  Yep, he (or she) is just a grown-up line leader.

Her eyes got all big and shiny, and she looked at me with all the gravity of a 4-year-old who has discovered her true calling.  

"I want to be the Line Leader/Prezdent," said my ambitious one in reverent tones.

At first I dismissed the idea, telling her to come back in 30 years.  But then, she started fleshing out her platform, and we really liked her ideas.  Take her campaign slogan, for example: 

You Get What You Get and You Don't Throw a Fit.  

It's catchy, and when you're doling out lollipops or crayons, it's a strong maxim to live by.  Her advisors think we might have a problem in some segments of the population, though.

Laws Sarah would like to pass during her administration:
Always put away your toys.
Say the pledge.

Also, under the Brown administration, space is no longer the final frontier.  "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States and the Milky Way."  With one masterful stroke, she claims the galaxy for American governance.  This candidate knows that perception is reality.

I haven't gotten excited about any of the candidates.  


Until now.



And if you think a relatively unknown pre-schooler can't attract celebrity star-power, I have a few words for you:  Elmo.  Abby Cadabby.  Cookie Monster.



So go vote for a candidate you believe in.  We did.


I'm Sarah Brown, and I approve this message.



No comments:

Post a Comment