Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Dog Treat Ornaments

We are dog people over here at Casa del Cafe.  Mike and I both grew up with big dogs as part of the family (mutts for me, Golden Retrievers for him).  Though we don't have dogs of our own at the moment, Sarah is planning for us to have at least four, plus several cats. 

Every family gathering in Memphis includes at least five dogs, and the kids have stuffed animal puppies that they drag everywhere.  So, when I had some leftovers from making my parents' dog bone wreath, I thought I'd turn them into ornaments.  After all, every two-legged in the family has at least one ornament on the tree with his or her name on it.  It's only fitting that the four-leggeds are given the same consideration.

Are you crazy enough to want to make some of these, too?  Awesome.  Grab some Mod Podge (I like the shiny kind), dimensional paint, hot glue, ribbon, and, of course, dog bones (I used Milk Bone). In the interest of carrying a theme too far, I made these whilst watching the TV show Bones.
  1. Seal the bones with the world's greatest invention since Cap'n Crunch  Mod Podge on all sides and let it dry.
  2. Write the name of your furry friend in dimensional paint on the flat back side of the bone and let it dry.
  3. Fire up the hot glue gun, cut a length of ribbon, and glue that baby to the back in a loop.
  4. Embellish your bones however you wish.  I used rickrack and red beads to make some holly, real classy-like.
  5. Hang on a tree and watch your four-legged friend attack said tree to try and eat the ornament. 

I used the teensy bones to make ornaments for Sarah and Will's oh-so-creatively-named stuffed animals: Puppy, Puppy, Puppy, and Hector.  We'll let Eddie the house elf take the credit for those later on in the week.

These are the big dogs' ornaments.

Well, I'm off to move the Elf on the Shelf again.

No comments:

Post a Comment