Monday, June 11, 2012

Firefly Hunt

We kicked off this past weekend with my all-time favorite summertime activity (besides eating popsicles and burnt hotdogs): Firefly Hunting.  My crew was so excited that we had a countdown going all week.  Five sleeps, four sleeps, three sleeps, two sleeps, one sleep... until the big day.

Of course, the girl had to have the perfect attire for chasing around those cute little buggers, and I obliged with this little dress:


Honestly, this dress has been a year in the making.  I cut the pattern (found here ) a year ago, and finally sewed it up last week.  I am super-duper proud of the embroidery (pattern found here ) since it is the first time I've done anything that actually resembles the pattern. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, and I can't wait do do more.

Here's a close-up of the little lightning bugs in their jar:

Neon yellow thread and sparkly silver thread on one dress?  You bet the girl was happy!

How pathetic is it that I don't know what time it gets dark outside?  We gathered at our house at about 7:00, but the fireflies didn't really "wake up" until 45 minutes later.  So, the hunters were singing songs to wake them up. 

The hunters stalking their prey.

Will "Bug-whisperer" Brown
Will didn't even have to work at it.  Those lightning bugs just flocked to him, nesting in his flowing locks.  Unfortunately, the feeling wasn't mutual, and he smacked his net on a tree to get the little buggers out.  Somehow, I don't see a future deer-hunter in him. 

I love it when you take a picture at the EXACT moment their little lights flicker on!

Everybody went home happy with their haul.  Our neighbors caught eighty-one!  Or eight.  Either way, I think they've got a real future at Terminix.

No comments:

Post a Comment