Monday, July 16, 2012

Cats


No, we're not getting any pets.  I'm talking about Cats the musical.

If they ever bring it back on Broadway, they should call it Payback because that's what I'm getting a whooooole lot of around here these days.  You see, I saw Cats when I was a tween or a pre-teen or a teenager, or whatever, and HATED it (insert teenage eye rolling here).  I couldn't figure out why adults wanted to pay to go see a bunch of other adults crawling around onstage acting like felines.

Anyway, skip to 20 years later, and I checked out The Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, T.S. Eliot's book of poetry upon which the musical is based, from el libre.  And the sis was hooked.  Mr. Mistofolees and Jennyanydots quickly became favorites, so I showed her some clips of the London cast performance on YouTube.  From there, the whole thing snowballed, and we had the CD in our car and she was questioning the Jellicle-ness of the strays in our neighborhood.

Even though I don't get the whole Grizabella and spaceship thing at the end, seeing the musical through my children's eyes has given me a new appreciation for it.

Check out Sarah's "fast moves" and Will's interpretation of Rumtumtugger, the rockstar cat:





No comments:

Post a Comment