Monday, March 19, 2012

A Tale of Two Tails

As the resident costume designer at Casa del Brown, I get a lot of requests for wacky getups. For instance, Sarah came home from her latest visit to Memphis asking for a Yak costume. They both wanted to be giraffes for Halloween, and I still have to get their bird wings made.

One of the more reasonable and consistent requests lately has been for a mermaid tail “with a big hole in it and a flipper.” Now, I’ve seen the Ariel/mermaid costumes on the market, and they are horrendous. Impossible for kids to walk in and poorly made, I knew what I didn’t want to make for my little diva.

So I made what I wanted to make:



It got thrown across the room at me.

Apparently there was a deadline for going swimming with some of her other mermaid friends and a felt tail without a “big hole and a flipper” just would not do.

It was back to the drawing board. This time, I made a long, stretchy skirt with just enough tacky fabric to appease Dolly Parton’s doppelganger, and I threw in a seashell tube top just to sweeten the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment