Monday, February 25, 2013

The Seuss is Loose!

Too wet to go out
And too cold to play ball.
So we sat in the house.
We did nothing at all.

And then something went BUMP!
How that bump made us jump!

We looked!
And we saw him!
The Cat in the Hat!

If you have school-age kids, they're probably involved in Read Me Week at school, culminating in a celebration of Dr. Seuss' birthday.  There are all kinds of Seuss-related crafts and activities out there, so I thought I'd toss my hat in the ring with a pretty quick and easy little project turning these craft stick puppet blanks:






Into these Seuss-tastic characters to occupy the little ones:




All you need is some paint, Sharpies, yarn, and craft foam. I actually made Things 1 & 2 last summer, using some turquoise yarn to make pom poms for their hair.  The pom poms are just hot glued on to the back of the craft stick.  Done and done.  Mike drew Fish, and I drew Nick, Sally, and the Cat.

Yesterday, during a rare nap for the kids, I decided to add on to our collection.  The Green Eggs and Ham crew was up next, complete with Sam-I-am and the angry unnamed guy. 



Sarah's favorites are the Sneetches and the Lorax.





I dragged our lemonade stand up from the basement, and let the puppeteers go to work.







Dr. Seuss has a special place in my heart.  He rescued generations from the un-entertaining, inauthentic readers series like Dick and Jane and gave us legendary characters, new vocabulary, and profound wisdom, all rolled into a silly, sweet package.  For more Seuss-related fun, check out our Lorax craftivities here.

Since it's Read Me Week, I thought I'd also pay homage to Stan and Jan Berenstein.  I learned to read on the Berenstein Bears books, sitting beside my mother and older brother, soaking up everything they were doing.  Here is the Bear family in all of their 80's inspired fashion glory:


Papa Bear met with an untimely beheading recently, but it was nothing a little Crazy Glue and a popsicle-stick neck brace couldn't handle.  

I've got even more Seuss up my sleeve this week!  Perhaps some Fun-in-a-Box?








No comments:

Post a Comment